Preparing for the holidays can be a lot of work. In fact, during the next few weeks, your Christmas to-do list is probably about to grow into an outrageous, poster-sized banner. Am I right? And then, before you know it, your Christmas experience turns into a frenzy of challenging task after challenging task.
Why not do it differently this year? Let’s get a head start on this season to ensure that this Christmas is about the celebration of the birth of Our Savior. Here are six ways you can prepare for Christmas, while remembering the reason we celebrate the season:
1. Add an advent calendar to your nightly routine. An advent calendar is a wonderful way to prepare your family for the celebration of the birth of Jesus. Not sure how an advent calendar works? Check out this article on How To Use An Advent Calendar and get a head start on the celebration this year.
2. Decorate your Christmas tree as a family. Choose lights and ornaments that represent the true Christmas story. You’ll be able to easily see them and remember the reason for the season all year long.
3. Serve others. Start a card ministry, organize a bake sale for your favorite charity, deliver pre-cooked Christmas dinners or easy-clean-up meals to your elderly friends, or volunteer your time at a local food pantry. By serving others at Christmas and year-round, you are answering God’s call in your life. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10 ESV
4. Decorate gradually. Slow down the process of putting your nativity scene out. By displaying your manger scene one piece at a time, you will be able to truly focus on the involvement of each person in the miraculous first Christmas story—of course, topping it off Christmas Day with the arrival of baby Jesus.
5. Find time to sit quietly. As the busyness of the holiday season approaches, set aside a designated time each day to fully focus on listening to God’s voice. Pick up some prayer resources to help deepen your personal relationship with Jesus as we approach the celebration of His birth.
6. Study the Christmas story. Read enlightening books about the amazing birth of Jesus, and read the story of Jesus’ birth straight from God’s Word with your family. Looking for materials to help your children or grandchildren learn more about the birth of Christ? Check out DaySpring’s Christmas Family Activities.
We all know how easy it is to get caught up in the Christmas rush. At Mary & Martha, we want to come alongside you this season to remind us all of the reason we celebrate Christmas. We hope these six ways to prepare for the holidays will help bring your focus back to the amazing Christmas story and God’s unfailing love for us.