The season of coziness is officially here! It’s time to snuggle up in warm blankets, bundle up in puffy vests for chilly morning walks, and cup warm mugs of cocoa in chilly hands.
Our friend Nancy has just the ticket for us this month with her recipe for homemade cocoa mix! Stir up a batch of this delicious mix, then bag up to gift a friend. Even better, invite several friends over for a cozy cocoa morning. Have the cocoa all ready to serve, then surprise each friend with a take-home bag of mix.
This chocolatey cocoa is the perfect sipper as we welcome November! Scroll down for the recipe + details on the beautiful Mary & Martha serving pieces.
HOMEMADE HOT COCOA MIX
Makes about 15 servings.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: none
- 2 1/2 cups powdered nonfat dry milk
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, whisk or stir together the powdered milk, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and salt, blending well.
- Stir in the mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Store hot cocoa mix in an airtight container for up to 3 months. You can also divide the mixture up into smaller containers, canning jars, or treat bags for gifting—include a gift tag that has instructions (below) for making the cocoa.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR HOT COCOA: For each serving, place 1/3 cup cocoa mix in a mug and stir in 3/4 cup (or 6 oz.) boiling water. Stir until well-blended and chocolate chips are melted.
Optional: For a little minty flavor, stir in a few mini chocolate mint candies (like Junior Mints®) right after adding the boiling water. Top your cocoa with whipped cream or mini marshmallows.
To get the beautiful and cozy look above, serve cocoa in our Merry Mugs!
And store your mugs on the Grateful Mug Rack, where they’ll always be ready for a quick cup of cocoa for a friend.