When life gives you lemons, make Lemon Bars! Just in time for the summer, this recipe is an easy treat to surprise the kiddos with after the last day of school or to bring to the church’s annual potluck. The best part is that this dessert is on the lighter side, so enjoy the citrus taste in every bite! Huge thanks to Nancy C. for providing this recipe for us!
Easy Lemon Bars by Nancy C.
Click here for the free Recipe Card!
Prep: 15 minutes
Bake: 26-28 minutes
- 1 (15-oz). box lemon cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- Optional: 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- Powdered sugar, for dusting on top
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease or spray a 9 x 13″ baking pan, or line with parchment paper; set aside.
- For the crust:
In a large bowl, mix the dry lemon cake mix with the melted butter, egg, and lemon extract until well-blended (the batter will be very thick). Press this mixture evenly into the bottom of the baking pan.
- For the filling:
In a small bowl, blend together the sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest, if using. Pour this mixture evenly over the cake mix batter layer in the bottom of the pan.
- Bake at 350˚F for 26 to 28 minutes, until the lemon filling is set. Let cool completely in pan, then dust with powdered sugar. Cut into bars or squares.